Hello brothers! Starting a new chapter can be intimidating but trust me, it’s well worth the time and energy you put into it. It’s an amazing experience for you as well as the founders that you’ll never forget for the rest of your life!
Here’s a list of useful free tools available that helped me while starting a new chapter:
- Facebook Pages, Twitter, Instagram – used this to publicize our new group across our campus. Example: Alpha Canada
- Facebook Events – From the Facebook Page, we created an event for each of our recruitment events. Then all of us invited all of our friends to every event. Since they were ‘hosted by’ our Page, they were all connected and people could discover other events to go to as well. [Sometimes we even spent $10 on Facebook Ads for these events, filtering to only show the ads for people on campus and it had a great turn out for even such a low cost]
- GroupMe / Facebook Messenger – We started with GroupMe to have a single chat but it required another app download so we moved to Facebook Messenger since everyone already had it. Doesn’t matter which one you use, but it’s great to have a single place where everyone can see what’s going on, and get event reminders.
- YouTube – used this to create recruitment hype videos and posted them on social media before recruitment season.
Some examples: Alpha Delta’s Spring Rush 2016;
- MailChimp – after tabling at campus recruitment events we take all those email addresses people wrote down at our booth and add them to a MailChimp list. Then we can email out to everyone at once with a nice email letting them know the next recruitment event details and links to the Facebook Events mentioned above.
- APOonline.org – Free for Interest Groups and Petitioning Groups. It’s a great tool we use to organize everything from membership, internal APO events, tracking service hours and fellowship events, collecting dues online, awards & achievements, families & family trees, etc.
- Additional Resources can be found on a Facebook Group the Alpha Canada chapter created to help start new chapters in Canada (all ideas would work for US groups as well). APO Resources for New Canada Chapters Facebook Group
What other free tools have you all used when starting a new chapter?
Tweet your ideas to @APOonline